Thursday, January 13, 2011

Otway Fly

We were going to do a day trip to the Otway Fly deep in the Otway temperate rainforest.  I did not know what to expect.  After a longish walk along a track through the rainforest I was amazed to find this structure 600 m long and 25 m high.  It was a tree top walk from which one looks DOWN on the canope giving an entirely different view from ground level walks.



It also has the eco effect of saving the forest floor from the tramping tourists!  Left to right - Lara, Yasmin & François 'flying'.

'
As if that were not high enough there is this 45 m high lookout tower 'for the adventurous' - what a challenge!  Well, luckily I got to the top and down again without a heart attack!


Also . . .  the Cantilever - a great arm of metal structure sticking out into space with no visible means of support.  Going out to the end definitely gave me a weird feeling - not one for suffers of vertigo!


There is an option to abseil down instead of walking down - I did NOT do that, but treated Yasmin to the experience.



'Bye!


 I have a video clip of her descent but have not yet mastered the technique of putting clips into my blog - sorry.
Want to know more about the Otway Fly?  otwayflytreetopadventures.com

No comments:

Post a Comment